I Became a Tycoon During World War I - 595

You will be redirected in 5 seconds...

Chapter 595: I Heard Many in Your Troops Speak German?


The first rays of sunlight of the new year illuminated the world, and the tolling bells announced that it was now 1916.

Yet, the sunshine could not dispel the dark clouds of war looming over the earth. The crisp chirping of birds could not halt the raging gunfire, and the sorrowful cries could not bring back the lives of lost loved ones.

On this first day of the new year, people pondered: how many more vibrant lives would be lost this year? How many would leave their beloved families and cherished homelands, only to march toward unknown battlefields and meet death?

...

Namur City Hall, Headquarters of the First Special Reconnaissance Army

King Albert I was buried in a mountain of supply lists, utterly swamped. In just a few days, reports of shortages flooded his desk like snowflakes:

“Flour reserves have reached critical levels and may only last for three more days.”

“Ammunition is dangerously low, with many soldiers lacking even a basic supply.”

“Severe artillery shell shortages—at least a third of the cannons are without ammunition!”

...

Finally, in frustration, King Albert I threw down his pen and began pacing angrily in front of his desk.

This cannot go on.

The Sixth Army cannot face a supply shortage. That is Charles’s unit. If they fall into trouble, Belgium would be in grave danger!

Those damn British. At such a critical juncture, they found excuses to reduce supplies for the French army. The Germans seemed to know this too and deliberately launched feigned attacks on the Sixth Army's defenses to deplete their ammunition.

“Where are the French supplies?” King Albert I asked.

“Still in Paris, Your Majesty,” Major General Eden replied with a salute. “It seems Parliament is deliberately creating obstacles. Ammunition dispatched from the Saint-Étienne armory is stuck there awaiting inspection.”

The explanation from Parliament was that in times of war, munitions were vital strategic resources, and their trade had to comply with government regulations—even if the purchaser was Charles.

“Those scoundrels!” King Albert I cursed. “Selfish fools who cannot see the danger of war, who ignore the lives of frontline soldiers, and who place no regard on Belgium's interests.”

After a moment of contemplation, King Albert I issued a series of commands:

“Call upon the Belgian people to tighten their belts. No matter what, ensure the Sixth Army has enough food!”

“Regarding ammunition, contact FN Herstal immediately and see if they can help.”

“For example, we can replace the Sixth Army's Lebel rifles with our own rifles and ammunition—provided Charles agrees!”

At that moment, a messenger stepped forward to report, “Your Majesty, General Charles is here!”

King Albert I was startled and quickly walked out to greet him.

Usually, when he saw Charles, his face was full of smiles. “General, my friend, it is always a pleasure to see you!”

But now, his expression was heavy. Shaking Charles’s hand, he said with difficulty, “Don’t worry, General. I will resolve the supply issues!”

“You do not need to bow to the British.”

“I understand. If you bow to the British, it means Belgium bows to the British!”

It was clear that the survival of Belgium depended on Charles and his troops. If the British controlled Charles, they would control Belgium.

However, to King Albert I’s surprise, Charles responded, “I didn’t come here for that, Your Majesty.”

“Not for that?” King Albert I was taken aback. What could be more important than this?

Charles gestured toward the meeting room, inviting him inside.

King Albert I understood and walked side by side with Charles into the room.

The attendants obediently served them both hot coffee and lit a fire in the hearth before leaving and closing the door.

“The supply situation isn’t as dire as you think, Your Majesty,” Charles said, stirring his coffee absently. He had no intention of drinking it, having just finished breakfast.

King Albert I was puzzled. “But what I’ve seen says otherwise...”

“That’s what I wanted others to see,” Charles interrupted.

King Albert I let out an “Oh,” and his tense expression eased, soon giving way to a smile. “So, this was your calculation?”

“More or less,” Charles nodded.

“How did you do it?” King Albert I asked curiously. “I mean, how did you ‘save’ ammunition and supplies under the watch of the British, Parliament, and the Germans?”

“It started the day I left Gembloux,” Charles replied calmly. “It’s one of the reasons I adopted the ‘elastic defense’ strategy.”

Another advantage of “elastic defense” was conserving ammunition.

The tactic significantly reduced the number of troops on the front line. Fewer troops meant less ammunition consumed, but the reported consumption remained the same.

The ammunition Charles saved up under Parliament and the British's noses was quietly stockpiled.

“But...” King Albert I questioned, “Why would you do that? To get through this crisis?”

“No, Your Majesty,” Charles replied, his voice steady. “You can’t rely on reserves to get through a crisis like this. I did this to provoke the Germans into attacking Antwerp.”

King Albert I jumped up in shock. “Antwerp? The Germans will attack Antwerp?”

Charles nodded succinctly. “My troops are supposedly losing their combat effectiveness due to supply shortages. Antwerp stores a large stockpile of supplies but is defended only by British and Belgian forces. It also threatens the safety of over 100,000 German troops. Of course, they will attack Antwerp.”

King Albert I turned his gaze toward the map on the wall. He approached and pinpointed Antwerp.

Indeed, as Charles described, Antwerp had unknowingly become a critical node.

“We cannot lose Antwerp,” King Albert I said, his eyes fixed on the map as his face paled. “It is the foundation of this defense line and the supply base. If Antwerp falls, the entire defense line will collapse!”

“It won’t fall, Your Majesty,” Charles said, putting down his spoon and walking toward the hearth, extending his hands to warm his frozen fingers. The warmth quickly spread through his body.

King Albert I suddenly understood.

Charles had hidden the supplies not to survive the immediate crisis but to prepare for a counterattack against the Germans.

Then it struck King Albert I—if Charles had started “saving” ammunition as early as Christmas Day when he left Gembloux, had he foreseen the current situation back then?

King Albert I turned to Charles in astonishment.

Good heavens. It was all a trap set by Charles. Everyone—the British, Parliament, and even the Germans—was playing into his hands!

At this moment, Charles suddenly asked, “I heard that many in your troops speak German?”

“Of course,” King Albert I replied, then asked in confusion, “Why do you ask?”