Genius Warlock - Chapter 661

Chapter 661: Dawn (4)


When Oliver mentioned the human sacrifice ritual, King Veller of the Aizan Kingdom, who had been mentally weighing countless costs and benefits, fell silent.

And he wasn’t the only one.

Other kings, who had also been unable to stop their relentless calculations despite feeling fear and wariness toward Oliver, who appeared riding atop a flesh chef transformed into a dragon, also grew silent.

As proof, the turbulent emotions they’d displayed earlier, nearly overwhelming, had quieted in unison, replaced by fear, a sense of crisis, and a desire for safety. Their lips, which had been on the verge of moving, now pressed shut.

The reason was simple.

They instinctively realized that Oliver knew their dark secrets.

They couldn’t quite understand how, but their survival instincts, honed over centuries to ensure the longevity of the royal line, informed them.

Otherwise, there was no explanation for why he had brought up human sacrifice immediately after interrupting Veller’s words.

He even knew the exact location.

A secret altar prepared near where the refugee black magicians resided, intended to ensure a bountiful harvest, was kept hidden.

It was a place that had been discreetly passed down within Veller’s royal family for generations.

Thanks to this altar, the Aizan Kingdom had been able to enjoy relative prosperity in the central continent.

In times of crisis, offering someone at the altar would bring about a bountiful harvest, enabling the kingdom to momentarily escape national calamity.

This was also why the Aizan Kingdom was so fervent in hunting down black magicians.

Making a fuss about subjugating black magicians made it far easier to divert attention from human sacrifices.

But now, Oliver, visiting the central continent for the first time, had made a statement that implied he knew all this.

Those aware of this fact, including Veller, felt a terrifying, unknown dread fill their minds with one single thought.

How could he possibly know?

The answer, however, was surprisingly simple.

“Idea.”

Oliver, after obtaining permission to speak alone with Roderick, spoke to the kings who remained silent.

“I learned this through Idea.”

“Idea... Isn’t that the magic you used when the airship was falling?”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Idea... I know of this magic. It’s the new spell developed by the Tower of Magic. A complex formula combining the magic of the Moirai School and spatial manipulation. A miracle that draws forth vast amounts of power and memory from the World Tree into reality… Isn’t that right?”

Roderick, who had extensive religious and magical knowledge, had guessed accurately, and Oliver nodded in acknowledgment.

“Ah… So you investigated human sacrifice with it? Incredible.”

Roderick expressed genuine admiration.

“Using that powerful magic, capable of restoring a falling airship, in such a manner… quite an unconventional approach.”

Roderick seemed genuinely surprised by the use of Idea for investigating the past.

Idea used not only the power contained in the World Tree but also its memories. In hindsight, it wasn’t entirely unreasonable.

After all, just because one understood a single concept didn’t mean they fully grasped every application of it.

In fact, it was Oliver’s use of Idea in such an unconventional way that was peculiar.

If all he wanted was to investigate the past, he could have relied on Net Sailing alone.

While the details might have been less precise in the vast sea of information, the risks and efforts involved made Net Sailing the more practical option.

However, Oliver had ignored this practicality. It was possible because he could simultaneously handle both Eve and Pandora, entities far beyond human understanding.

“More surprising than that is your attitude, Zenon, after you returned from this investigation. Did something change in you?”

Roderick, more than he was curious about the magic of Idea, pointed out Oliver’s demeanor as he returned with the kings' dark secrets in hand.

Although Roderick and Oliver had only known each other for a short while, it was long enough for them to understand each other.

And because of that, Roderick could be certain of one thing.

Oliver deliberately investigating someone’s weaknesses was not typical of him. While others might do so casually, it was an extraordinary matter for Oliver.

After a brief hesitation, Oliver began to speak.

“Well... I just thought it might be good to investigate.”

Oliver recalled witnessing the past of the Pied Piper and the conversation he’d had with the Gardener afterward. The dawn light that shone on Oliver after the long night.

At that moment, although Oliver had confirmed everything he wanted to, he didn’t act immediately. Instead, he sought permission from Pandora and Eve to use Idea once more.

It was to gather useful information about the central continent.

To understand who the kings were, what their dark secrets were, and what their goals were.

It was an immense amount of information that would typically take days to gather through ordinary means, but Eve and Pandora were able to relay it vividly to Oliver in an instant.

Apart from witnessing the Pied Piper’s past and his talk with the Gardener, Oliver revealed everything to Roderick the Archpriest.

After listening quietly, Roderick spoke up.

“Hmm... First, let me thank you for being honest with me. But, are you sure it’s all right to tell me everything?”

It was a reasonable question. The power of Idea, through Pandora and Eve, was beyond imagination.

It was not just a matter of the physical realm. It went far beyond that.

Extremely speaking, for Oliver, there was almost no such thing as a secret anymore.

Literally, it was a domain of gods. The fewer people who knew, the better, and it was especially dangerous for Roderick, who was affiliated with Pater Church, to know about it.

“Consider it a form of reciprocation.”

“What kind of reciprocation?”

“Didn’t you, Your Majesty, also share something with me? Deus Ex Machina, if you recall.”

Deus Ex Machina.

A grand project being conducted by the extremist faction within Pater Church to create an artificially born son of an angel and thereby avert the apocalypse.

Although it was information of utmost secrecy, Roderick had shared it with Oliver.

The reason was...

“... Your Majesty Roderick, may I ask you one question?”

Oliver spoke suddenly, and Roderick responded without surprise.

“Speak.”

“The black magicians who caused terror on the airship... Was Your Majesty behind them?”

Oliver pointed to Roderick as the mastermind behind the black magicians he had encountered on the airship.

It was a shockingly audacious accusation that bordered on insulting not only the Archpriest but even the entire Pater Church, but Roderick’s response transcended this.

“Yes, that’s right. I arranged for it to make the central continent understand what kind of beings the black magicians truly are.”

Roderick admitted it without the slightest hesitation.

“I even asked them if they wanted their families captured and punished with them or if they would rather secure their families’ freedom. Do you think it was too harsh?”

“What do you think, Your Majesty?”

Oliver countered.

After a moment of thought, Roderick spoke.

“I suppose... it was a bit excessive. After all, if things had gone wrong, the people on the airship could have been in danger. But, on the other hand, I felt it was necessary. In the end, everyone would perish if the apocalypse came, would they not? Besides, thanks to you, no one was hurt.”

“The black magicians all perished.”

“Don’t concern yourself with that. They were doomed to die anyway. They were criminals, guilty of murder, kidnapping, and countless other crimes. What do you think? Do you feel I went too far?”

“I think it’s... somewhat problematic.”

“Somewhat?”

“It’s also true that I’m not in a position to judge, Your Majesty. No matter what, you’ve been striving, even in the face of a despairing truth.”

These words were sincere, as he had learned the truth from the Gardener.

“That’s why I think you’re remarkable, Your Majesty. I could never do the same.”

A silence fell between them.

“I understand that your request for my support isn’t solely to deal with the refugee black magicians.”

“I’m listening.”

“It’s to face the Pied Piper, isn’t it? At least for now.”

“...Yes. For now.”

Silence returned once more.

“So, do you plan to confront the Pied Piper?”

“Probably. It seems like the best option for everyone.”

“For everyone…”

Roderick repeated Oliver’s words, contemplating the subtle emphasis in his tone before nodding.

“I will assist you.”

“With what?”

“With subduing the Pied Piper and any related matters. The army currently positioned around the city is part of that, is it not?”

Roderick didn’t deny it. That army was a mere spoon, ready to take credit for the Piper’s downfall, enabling the Pater Church and the continent’s kings to share in the glory.

“I’ll cooperate as much as possible regarding that as well. But I do have a request.”

Oliver sensed what it might be, even without asking.

“If—by chance—I manage to subdue the Pied Piper safely, would you please refrain from intervening in my life any further?”

Roderick remained silent.

With his authority as Archpriest, he could have easily lied outright, but for some reason, he found himself unable to do so.

“...The end, Zenon. The end, I speak of. None of us are exempt.”

“I have a sense of what you’re hoping for, but I have no intention of agreeing. And I understand your concern, but I still won’t do it.”

“Nothing in life goes as we wish, you know.”

“At the very least, I can try.”

“Try, in the face of such a disaster?”

“Yes… That’s the best I can do.”

Silence stretched between them. It was as if time had stopped. After a long deliberation, Roderick finally spoke.

“Could we discuss this further after dealing with the Pied Piper?”

“Very well.”

Oliver accepted, understanding that this was the farthest Roderick could compromise. The sincerity in his emotions alone made it worth accepting.

After they had concluded their conversation, Oliver politely asked for permission.

“...Your Majesty, if it’s all right, may I excuse myself briefly? I’d like to meet up with my companions.”

“I don’t mind. We need time to prepare on our end anyway… Ah!”

Just as Oliver was passing by, Roderick let out a small exclamation.

At the sound, Oliver halted and turned his head.

Roderick spoke up.

“Lady Joanna is still at the same lodging.”

“...Thank you for letting me know.”

...

After finishing his conversation with Roderick the Archpriest, Oliver returned straight to the city.

On the way back, he could feel numerous gazes fixed on him.

Civilians, soldiers, holy knights, priests, nuns, royalty—all kinds of people.

Each of their gazes carried a variety of emotions.

From simple fear to wariness, contempt, reverence, jealousy, and calculation.

But Oliver ignored all these feelings and continued walking directly toward where Kevin was waiting.

Their lodgings were in the same mansion on the outskirts of the city where Oliver had left them. The only change was that guards were now monitoring the property.

As soon as Oliver entered the mansion, Kevin spoke.

“So, you’ve decided to face the Pied Piper?”

A quick understanding borne from impressive insight. Oliver chose to follow his lead.

“Yes, Professor.”

“Are you serious?”

Yareli, who looked anxious, interjected. It was a natural reaction.

She was one of the few who knew that Oliver hadn’t originally driven away the Pied Piper.

To her, Oliver’s decision was practically suicidal.

Rosburn felt the same.

“Teacher…”

He called out, visibly worried, and Oliver placed a reassuring hand on his head as he spoke.

“I’ve already made up my mind.”

His tone was calm as usual, yet somehow resolute, leaving Rosburn and Yareli with nothing to say.

They realized that no words could sway him.

Oliver then looked toward Kevin.

“Professor, may I ask a favor?”

“What is it?”

“Would you keep an eye on Yareli and Rosburn? I don’t think I’ll have the capacity to care for anyone else right now.”

“It’s not a problem, but I’m surprised. I thought you’d send them back to the city.”

“On second thought, leaving doesn’t seem like it would make them any safer.”

Oliver recalled a young boy who had met a pointless end after eating poison-laced vegetables.

It was absurdly tragic, the Pied Piper’s son ending like that. Maybe this struggle was meaningless from the start.

But that didn’t mean he could just do nothing.

“Landa doesn’t seem entirely safe either.”

Kevin and Yareli, who had been keeping up with the news from Landa, nodded silently in agreement.

It might actually be safer to keep Rosburn in sight.

If distance alone guaranteed safety, then the Arkh Orphanage would have been a sanctuary from the start.

Kevin accepted Oliver’s request.

“Alright, I’ll handle it. Don’t worry.”

“Thank you. I have more to say, but would it be all right if we discuss it later?”

“As you like.”

Once Kevin gave his consent, Oliver prepared to pass by him.

As Oliver walked past, Kevin grabbed his arm and asked.

“Do you have a plan?”

“...I’m not certain, but perhaps.”

Satisfied with the answer, Kevin let go, and Oliver proceeded up the stairs to Joanna’s room on the second floor.

“So, you came back after all?”

When Oliver entered, Joanna was visibly worried, her face showing traces of fear and concern.

The depth of her worry for him was nearly as strong as what she felt for her younger siblings. In some ways, it was even stronger.

“Yes…”

“Go back!”

Joanna’s voice rose to a volume that seemed unbelievable from someone who had recently been injured.

It wasn’t just a casual remark; there was a firm resolve in her voice, and her growing fear echoed in its intensity.

What could have caused her to be so afraid?

Oliver placed his quarterstaff against the wall, approached Joanna, and sat beside her.

“I just came from Arkh Orphanage.”

“…”

“And I met Director Amelin.”

Joanna’s face twisted in anguish as she covered her face with her bandaged hands.

It was an understandable reaction. To her, the children at the orphanage were like her younger siblings, and Director Amelin was like a mother.

Watching Joanna’s pain, Oliver struggled to find the right words.

Offering comfort was still something he found incredibly difficult. So he decided to say what he had originally planned.

“Once, she told me something.”

Joanna, her face still hidden behind her hands, slightly lifted her head.

“She said that even if she might someday sin or be cowardly, she had to say the right things to the children. Otherwise, they wouldn’t even have the chance to turn out right… She shared that with me when I told her about what happened with you.”

“…”

“To be honest, I thought it sounded like a justification—or rather, an excuse. An excuse for your behavior in turning your back on the children.”

Oliver expressed his feelings openly.

“Interestingly, she told me she had gone through something similar. Reducing the number of children to keep the orphanage running smoothly. And yet, she ultimately gave her life to protect the children.”

“Oliver…”

“You told me once that I never swore a knight’s oath, and yet, I’ve judged you. But here I am, hesitant when faced with the same position…”

“Oliver!”

“Would you look at this?”

Oliver held out his hand.

His hand was trembling.

“I’m scared, too. I want to run away right now… So, please, don’t tell me to leave or to turn back.”

Seeing Oliver’s trembling hand, Joanna looked away, meeting his eyes.

Her face was contorted in pain—a pain that went beyond the physical to a deep inner torment.

“Is the promise we made back then still valid?”

“What promise?”

“The one where you said you would trust me, support me, and help me, no matter what happens.”

“Yes!”

Joanna wiped away her tears.

“Then, could you pray for me, just this once? That I may have courage and strength.”

Oliver sought her help.

After a moment, her fragile, bandaged hands took Oliver’s as her trembling, quiet voice filled the room with a prayer.

“I will pray…”


Next Chapter >>>